Easy Vegan Pad Thai



Easy Vegan Pad Thai

Easy, oh-so-delicious, and quick—plus, no trips to the specialty store for hard to find ingredients. WIN!

13.2 oz. rice noodles (medium width)

Sauce:
¼ cup each: tamari, fresh lime juice, and non-virgin olive oil
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons organic sugar
3 tablespoons ketchup (yeah, you heard me right)
2 tablespoons each: maple syrup and basic hot sauce (cayenne or tabasco)
4 large cloves garlic, pressed
1 ¼ teaspoon sea salt

Stir-ins:
¾ cup sliced scallions (about 8 scallions, trimmed)
½ - ¾ cup chopped cilantro

Toppings:
½ cup crushed peanuts
1-2 cups bean sprouts

Garnish:
6 lime wedges

1. Prepare the noodles. Which usually entails the following: Bring a large pot of water to boil and add the rice noodles. Stir and cover. Set aside for about 15 minutes, or until al dente.

2. In a large bowl, place all of the sauce ingredients. Stir well. Add the stir-ins. Stir them too. Say “stir” a lot.


3. Drain the noodles and add to the big bowl. Stir gently until well combined. Place in bowls and serve topped with the bean sprouts and peanuts. Garnish with lime wedges to achieve the maximum legal level of awesome. 

Serves 6/GF/Purple (according to the guidelines in my books)
30 Minutes or Under!

14 comments:

  1. Ketchup? No way!

    I think I like your books so much because we like the same kind of ethnic foods! Moroccan, Middle Eastern (love Turkish), and Japanese are my favourites. I also really like Spanish. :)

    I would love to investigate Ethiopian a bit more, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Janet. I'm ashamed to admit I've never tried it! (Ethiopian, that is)
    And so glad you're enjoying my books! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. The ketchup is a "cheater" way to avoid the more time-consuming and hard to find tamarind. It works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is funny because I have tamarind but not ketchup. ;) Love your taramind chutney and the red lentil, spinach and tamarind dish. :)

    Brazilian is also very good! I have tried a few vegan black bean soups that have all been incredibly flavourful. :)
    This one is particularly good: http://www.joanne-eatswellwithothers.com/2010/12/brazilian-black-bean-soup-vegan.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had this for dinner (and tweeted about it) Thanks so much for the recipe, so yummy and easy!! Will be making this often for sure - I can never find tamarind here so thanks too for the easy substitute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - I am just now seeing these comments! So sorry. Anyway, thank you! And thanks for tweeting about it!! : ) xo

      Delete
  6. Just saw the VeggieBuzz tweet on this and had to come see it! I love Pad Thai but can never seem to get a vegan version in restaurants when I want it. And you're right, most recipes for it have so many rare ingredients. I use ketchup all the time to replace tomato paste (especially when the recipe just calls for a tbsp or 2), but didn't know it could be used for tamarind paste. I've bookmarked this to definitely try soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! And gluten-free. Definitely trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking this would go well with spiralized zucchini in place of the rice noodles. Has anyone tried zoodles in Tess's Pad Thai?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of them being called "zoodles" before - brilliant!! I also don't know that anyone has used them for this, but it would be worth a shot! You may need slightly more zoodles than noodles though, since they won't absorb sauce like the rice noodles. Let me know how it goes if you try it!

      Delete
    2. I tried two batches. The first just replaced the noodles with zucchini. That was great. For the second batch, I stir-fried half of a julienned onion, a sliced zucchini, a handful of sliced white mushrooms, a handful of bean sprouts, and a couple Tablespoons of crushed peanuts. I used 3 Tablespoons of the sauce as a stir-fry sauce. This was excellent!

      Delete
    3. Nice!! Thanks for the update, Dave! : )

      Delete