Pure and Simple Vegan Tapioca Pudding


I've been messing around with this recipe for about 15 years, so I was bound to get it right one of these decades! The thing that I was missing for far too long was the importance of simplicity in this dish. Previously, I was cluttering it up with things like maple syrup, raisins, and cinnamon. All fine ingredients otherwise, but they simply muddied the pure, delicate flavor that you're looking for in a vanilla tapioca pudding.

That said, it's really important to use high quality ingredients, as there are so few ingredients in this dish. First of all, start with your tapioca. Personally, I prefer whole tapioca simply for the fun texture - but you can also use instant. (Instant is often easier to find as well)


So, what you'll want to do is place 1/4 cup of either whole tapioca (shown above) or instant in 3 cups nondairy milk. Now, this... THIS...is a crucial step, my friends! If you use sub-par milk, your pudding will not taste fabulous. Personally, I like to use homemade almond milk. If you're so inclined, you could also use coconut milk or another high quality nondairy milk - the fresher the better!

If you're using whole tapioca, let it sit in the milk for about 2 hours. If you're using instant, proceed with the next step.

Next, place the tapioca and milk mixture in a medium pot. Add your vanilla. You can either use one tablespoon vanilla extract or a luscious vanilla bean (or two if you're really a vanilla lover!). Obviously, using the whole vanilla bean will elevate this to another level. To use, simply score it down one side (lengthwise) with a sharp knife and then scrape out all the innards with the back of a spoon. Heaven.


Next, add 1/2 cup of organic sugar (basically, the healthier version of white sugar) and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Stir well with a whisk and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, for about ten minutes.

Remove from heat, let cool, then refrigerate. Before serving, stir again. Enjoy!

Serves 4
GF/SF/Blue (according to the health guidelines in my books)






14 comments:

  1. This sounds really delicious, I love tapioca but am trying to stay away from dairy, I should have thought to use the almond milk. Very cool, I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tapioca flour, or more appropriately – cassava flour, is still produced and consumed in tropical countries where the cassava plant is indigenously grown. Tapioca Granulated

      Delete
  2. I just made a batch of almond milk today and I love tapioca pudding so I'll try your recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a child, tapioca was one of my favorite desserts. My Mom would use evaporated milk and eggs. I made this with cashew milk because I love the depth cashews have and thought it would give the taste of evaporated milk. I have to tell you that it tasted just like my Mom's. My husband even liked it and I didn't tell him that it was vegan its a hard sell for him! I'm going to make it for my brother in a few weeks and see if he thinks it taste like Mom's. Thank you for bringing my childhood comfort food back vegan style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, thanks so much for sharing. That comment made my day!! :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds like it will hit the spot after a sucky day. thanks!

    (i've app tabbed your blog now - need a reminder to check in more often!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want to make tapioca soup, try to make this recipe with large tapioca pearls. Disappointing and gross...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a double batch of this recipe today with high hopes and unfortunate results. I used Bob's Red Mill Tapioca, Trader Joe's Almond Milk, Organic Sugar, sea salt, premium vanilla and followed the recipe without deviation. I have a mixture that resembles gak with tapioca suspended in it and tastes terrible. I wasted perfectly good ingredients on this and regret making it now. Have other people had success with this recipe? I don't know what went wrong with this, but it was a DUD for me. I suspect I over stirred the mixture while cooking and that created the bad gluey consistency. The flavor is a puzzle and not what I would expected from the ingredients. I won't be making this again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO sorry this recipe didn't work for you!! : (

      I honestly am not sure what happened. I make this constantly for my daughter and it always turns out. There must have been some weird factor that messed it up. Sorry for the bummer!!

      Delete
  8. I made this, and it tastes great, but I'm having the same gak issue. I used Bob's Red Mill, too, so I'm wondering if that's the issue? It's a small pearl tapioca. It is good, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to update my comment. I left this alone in the fridge overnight (I figured it couldn't hurt) and it actually gelled up like it was supposed to! I will admit that it's a looser pudding, but it's been a pretty big hit for us.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for the update, Allison!! : )

      Delete
  9. ti made it with "Beter than Milk" soymilk powder...worked great! added a little almond extract too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. On my 3rd try with this, I added 2- 3 Tbs. of tapioca starch mixed w/ a bit of water toward the end of the cooking and it thickened nicely. I used 1 cup cocnut milk and 2 cups of cashew milk - mmm.

    ReplyDelete